Feb 7, 2011

Big Green Salad

Big Green Salad (sorry for the poor quality iPhone photo)

Greetings! Firstly, sorry it's been so long. There's no excuse! Secondly, new look to the blog. Let me know how it's working for you. Thirdly, and most importantly, my team at work is doing a weight loss challenge. While my coworkers spend the next 10 weeks swapping theories on carbs, trading cabbage soup recipes and fasting, I plan to post an update a week in the hopes of proving you can actually enjoy food and be healthy! 

I made this salad a few weeks ago and Jo loved it. So we experimented last week and wrote down all the ingredients. And for lack of a better name, it became Big Green Salad. I hope you enjoy as much as I do!

Salad ingredients: 
Quinoa (like rice, but more weird)
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped and quartered
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- handful of fresh mint, shredded
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds

Dressing: 
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- dash of hot sauce (optional)

1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions (usually 1.5 units water / 1 unit quinoa - bring to a boil in a saucepan and then simmer 10-12 minutes or until light and translucent). Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and set aside. 
2. Wash all vegetables and slice, shred, grate etc. Combine in large salad bowl. 
3. Top with mint, feta, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds. 
4. Combine all ingredients for dressing and mix until smooth. 
5. Pour dressing over salad. Toss and serve. 

Miso paste - you can get this at all health stores
I realize it's not the most ground breaking recipe, but I guarantee the quinoa will help fill you up and the quinoa, nuts, seeds, and feta will provide sufficient protein. The avocado is optional depending on the desired fat content (remember though, avocados contain the healthy fats, and there's no oil in this dressing!). You should have enough for 2 dinners and 2 lunches the next day (we agreed it tastes better as a leftover!). 

I won't blog about the wine pairing, as I'm pretty sure we actually have this with a dirty martini pre-Wine Stage, but I will update on a delicious Zinfandel I must give Jo credit for. Turley, from Napa, is a full bodied Zinfandel with a velvety texture. The aromas of chocolate and raspberries followed through on the palate - it was like drinking dessert! I reduced some of it and served it on top of roast duck breast, beets,  brussels sprouts, and fennel mashed potatoes (I know - diet fail, but you make exceptions for birthdays). 

 Oh, and sorry for the poor quality iPhone photos - I got sand in my camera in Costa Rica. I hope to get a new camera soon (with a special setting for food if I get my way). I would consider monetizing my blog so my followers can donate to the cause, but it would be more direct to just ask my parents to buy me a camera (yes parentals, this is a test to see if you're reading my blog!)

3 comments:

  1. I like the new layout! Only you need a widget to jump to past recipes - luckily, your blog automatically goes to my google reader so I can easily find past posts, but when I went straight to your blog it was a pain.

    Also - I vote with the new camera that you also post pictures of the wine bottles. Mostly because I'm way better at remembering wine labels than I am at remembering wine names, and I really, really need to start trying more of your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, both great suggestions! Hopefully I'll have a new camera in the next 2 weeks. Until then, crappy iPhone photos will have to suffice.

    I will take a picture of the wine labels. There's some cool ones in Ontario I can't get here and vice versa so no promises on availability!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I moved the archive to the left side menu bar (like it was before) and added a search gadget on the bottom. You should be able to search by recipe or ingredients.

    ReplyDelete